Perfect Preparation & Application: Preparing Walls & Ceilings
The following guidelines apply to the Estate® Emulsion and Modern Emulsion paint finishes.
Ensure the wall and ceiling surfaces are sound, clean, dry and free from dirt, grease and any other contamination.
Apply Farrow & Ball Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat, this will enable you to achieve an even finish and enhance the intensity of the top coat colour. Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat is available in four colours to enhance the intensity of your chosen wall or ceiling colour.
FOR PLASTERBOARD, SKIM PLASTER, SHEET ROCK AND LINED WALLS:
- When applying over a porous surface, mix Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat with up to 20% water to make a diluted coat. This will seal the surface and promote adhesion.
- Dilution rate will depend on the porosity of the surface. A test patch is recommended to determine the correct dilution rate.
- Finish with a full coat of Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat to enhance the top coat colour.
FOR PRE-PAINTED, NON-POROUS WALLS & CEILINGS:
- If making a significant colour change then apply one full coat of Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat in the correct colour tone for your topcoat.
FOR GLOSSY OR OIL BASED SURFACES:
- Sand down and then clean with a detergent.
- Apply one full coat of Wall & Ceiling Primer & Undercoat to promote adhesion and enhance the top coat colour.
- For plaster surfaces which are porous, chalky or slightly degraded but otherwise structurally sound, apply one coat of Farrow & Ball Masonry & Plaster Stabilising Primer.
For plaster surfaces which are porous, chalky or slightly degraded but otherwise structurally sound, use Farrow & Ball Masonry & Plaster Stabilising Primer.
- When using more than one tin of the same colour check that the batch numbers are the same (see the base of the tin). If not then mix the tins together before use.
- Stir paint thoroughly before use.
- Apply two coats using a brush or roller. On application of the final coat lay off the paint in a single direction.
- Estate® Emulsion, Modern Emulsion, Dead Flat, Full Gloss and Estate® Eggshell are dry in two hours and can be recoated in four hours.
- Clean brushes and rollers with warm soapy water.
Dado Rail: London Stone No.6 Estate Eggshell
Wall below Dado Rail: London Stone No.6 Estate Emulsion
Woodwork: Slipper Satin No.2004 Estate Eggshell
Ceiling: White Tie No.2002 Estate Emulsion