Preparation & Application - Exterior
All our paints are water based, eco friendly and comply with the latest EU environmental legislation regarding the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) content of paints. Our finishes are all low in odour and classified as either low or minimal VOC. These water based paints can be applied to surfaces previously painted in an oil based finish. However, surfaces painted in oil based paint require a minimum of two weeks drying time before water based paint is applied on top. Farrow & Ball oil based paint finishes are no longer available.
The following guidelines apply to the Exterior Masonry paint finish, suitable for exterior surfaces constructed of masonry, cement, stone, brick, block work, roughcast and chip.
Ensure the surface is sound, clean, dry and free from dirt, grease and any other contamination.
For newly rendered surfaces:
- Newly rendered surfaces must dry out completely and are best left to weather for up to six months before sealing with any paint system.
- For any areas that remain powdery or unstable following the drying period, prime with Farrow & Ball Stabilising Primer.
For dry, new cement rendered surfaces:
- No primer is required, but 10% water may be added to assist application on sound, bare surfaces.
For structurally damaged surfaces, such as cracking or loose cement:
- Repair before applying paint.
- Patch prime any repaired or seriously degraded areas with two coats of Farrow & Ball Stabilising Primer.
For unsound surfaces such as alkaline, powdery or porous surfaces:
- Prime with Farrow & Ball Stabilising Primer.
- One or two coats should be applied by brush, working well into the surface.
- Allow to fully dry.
For fungal or algal contaminated surfaces:
- Decontaminate with an appropriate treatment or with a solution of diluted bleach and all to dry completely.
- Scrape back unsound surfaces and brush clean before applying Farrow & Ball Stabilising Primer.
- When using more than one tin of the same colour, check that the batch numbers are the same (see the base of the tin). If not then mix the tins together before use.
- Stir paint thoroughly before use.
- Apply two coats by brush or roller, taking care not to apply too thickly in hollows and angled sections.
- Exterior Masonry is touch dry in one hour and can be recoated in five hours.
- Clean brushes and rollers with warm soapy water.